Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10th, 2010

I guess I should begin this by saying that I don't think I'm anyone particularly special. There are billions of folks out there and millions of bloggers. The reality is, we all like the idea of penning our ideas down for others to read, exposing just enough of ourselves to merit the attention of someone else, sort of a form of literary flashing in this park we call the World Wide Web.

My name is Troy. I'm 39 years old. I live and work in Philadelphia, one of the best cities in the world, by the way. I retired from the US Army, went to school, and now I'm a rabbi. I'm married and have four young children. Overall, I have to admit that life is pretty good.

Or least it was. A couple of weeks ago I went to my doctor after experiencing some shortness of breath. He referred me to my cardiologist, a great man I know from my days in the Army. After a couple of tests, my cardiologist began to express some concern. My stress test came back abnormal.

Ok, I'll be honest. I'm overweight. I'm not like a dirigible coming in for a landing, but I would benefit from the loss of a few pounds. I never expected, however, to have heart disease, especially while in my 30's.

My doctor began to ask some questions about symptoms and, looking back, I had to admit the truth: yes, I've been having a little bit of chest pain (maybe something I ate); yes, I've been feeling an odd rhythm in my heart (my wife was wearing a neglige, who wouldn't have heart flutters?); no, I haven't been exercising like I should (really, who has time? Besides, I have a gym membership. Doesn't that count for something, even if I don't use it?)

So now I have to admit the possibility of having heart disease. My wife is naturally concerned. Perhaps overly concerned. She won't even let me open the jar of mayonnaise anymore (wait, should I be eating mayonnaise?).

Next week I have a full day of tests scheduled at the cardiology clinic: an echocardiogram, a nuclear perfusion test, and a follow-up with my doctor. I'm not looking forward to the poking, prodding, and treadmill-running. I can't see how my heart is supposed to stay calm when a 20 year old tech is shoving a sharp metal pipe into my vein, but, hey, they're the professionals.

I want to share this journey with anyone who might benefit from it. Challenges always seem to bring out the very best or the very worst in people. Tribulation is a sort of refiners fire that shows us what we're made of. I hope I've got the right stuff.

I don't know where this road is going and I don't know how it will end. God knows all of this and, honestly, in the end, that's going to have to be enough.

4 comments:

  1. I am excited that you are doing this blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where Aaron got influenced in his writing style...
    I'd like to come along on this journey as long as you'll have me. I can give some tips on health (what I know at least). Funny how you mentioned heart flutters. My heart's been acting odd the past 6 months. It's been abnormally beating more than it ought. There have been times when it felt like it would come up my throat. Others where it seemed to thump against my chest like banging on a door. I had brought this up to several clinic doctors. Twice I've been issued an EKG. Nothing. This was in the past few years. Currently, I've not seen a doctor. As I said prior, the past half year concerned me because they have come more frequently. At times, waking me up at night with a rapid heart rate. It takes more than five minutes to return to normalcy (is that how one uses that word?). Doctors are out of my league now (who can afford $45 after paying over two grand at a dentist?). I hope it's nothing serious. The past month, it hadnt been so bad. Only increasing in rate more than usual but that's my fault. My diet has increased in inflammatory foods again. I have to stop doing that. Perhaps I was going through something around that time (it escapes me at the moment? Oh, when it comes to exercising, Americans have no excuse (see how I blamed everyone, not just you). There is always time to exercise. Mom always says that she can't do certain stretches (long story short, she's been getting pain behind her right shoulder) that'll decrease her pain and increase range of motion. It gets very annoying hearing her gripe about her pain when it's an everyday thing for me. I tell you what I said to her: If you want to get better, you'll make time. Sure, you have kids, try and get them involved or explain to them how important it is so you can set aside some alone time, etc. well, i really don't know what your daily life is over there but you get the picture. Unfortunately, something like heart disease has to come around and kick us in the ass to get us moving. Also, what is your diet like? I suggest sticking with a Mediteranean diet (if I spelled that right, wow). It's the best out there. Plus, the food tastes great ^^. I can see why you haven't responded on Facebook. I assume you won't here either. You want me to call you, don't you? Guess I have to force you to give me some lessons :P Darn. You're not going to die on me right? I do need a guide in Germany still (I mean we) ;) How else will I save on money (again, we)? Oh, I'd have made an account but got lazy. I'm on livejournal but I don't want you to read it. lol. Too much drama there. Hope you're tests are going well. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rabbi Yosi,

    Sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your heart. I am not a doctor, but I have learned how to listen to my body over the last 14 years, that I have been unable to walk. I have learned so much about how vitamin and other deficiencies can contribute to health problems, from personal experience. My dad had heart arrhythmias, weak heart beats, and at times his heart would quiver but not beat very much at all. My dad had heart disease too. My dad’s dad died from severe heart disease and my dad was headed there too.

    So…I did my research and found that a certain combination of vitamins and other supplements could help my dad’s heart function better. This is what I found, as far as vitamin and other supplements that help the heart to work better.

    * magnesium: severe deficiencies of this mineral causes heart arrhythmias, weakens the heart muscle and can weaken the arteries and other blood vessels to the heart.

    * calcium and vitamin D helps magnesium absorb.

    * CoQ10 (enzyme heart needs) strengthens heart muscle.

    * Evening Oil Primrose (Omega 3 Fatty acid) strengthens arteries to the heart to help keep the blood vessels more elastic to prevent hardening.

    * Extra virgin Coconut Oil cook with it; handles high heat well and lowers cholesterol

    * Milk thistle (herb) helps liver detoxify better; reduces stress on heart

    How much of each?

    We gave my dad 1000 mg calcium/1000 mg of magnesium and 1000 iu vitamin D three times a day.

    Evening Oil Primrose 1300 mg once a day
    CoQ10 60 mg twice a day
    B complex 100 mg once a day
    Vitamin B12 30 mg once a day.

    Cost wise, vitamins do add up fast.
    (part 1 too long)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...(part2 continued)

    If you can’t afford to take vitamins, you can grind whole foods and drink your greens instead. I have a Vitamix, which can grind tougher to grind foods like kale, beets and carrots, grind nuts or even whole grains to make flour.

    Grind kale, higher in vitamins than other green leafy veggies. Higher in calcium, magnesium, zinc, B vitamins and iron, than other green leafy vegetables. I just add enough water to make the ground up veggies drinkable.

    Grind smaller amounts of the kale, carrots and beets and drink it once or twice a day. Keeps better than grinding large quantities and storing in fridge. Cut out all dairy products for at last 2 years to help speed healing. Cut way down on the meats, that are eaten – especially red meats, like beef and lamb; add legumes, nuts or seeds instead of part of the meat. Eat meats that are considered Biblically kosher. Avoid tuna – they ear large amounts of shrimp and are high in mercury. Lamb is kosher but cut out most of the animal fats; helps reduce cholesterol levels

    Cut out all dairy. Use extra virgin olive oil in place of butter on foods. Cook with extra virgin coconut oil, handles high heat better and helps to drop cholesterol levels. Do NOT cut out all fat entirely, need some fat in foods for helping fat soluble vitamins to aborbb. Cut down on bread and pastas. Eat more whole grains, like whole grain brown rice. Potatoes are good, but don’t eat in large quantities. Need potassium from potatoes, bananas and oranges. Higher levels of cholesterol can deposit in the arteries of the heart and cause chest pains, chest tightness or even possibly heart attacks. Cut out all refined sugars. Add in uncooked raw fruits instead.

    Cut down on pastas and breads, but don’t cut them out totally, since these can help to breakup what type of meals you eat each day, to keep you from being bored with the food that you eat.

    I hope this helps you in some way, since your health depends on you taking care of it. Eating this way will also help you to lose the weight.

    ReplyDelete